- May 31, 2017
- Learning Library
Members will soon be able to enjoy the benefits of EMV chip technology when using their Debit Card!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Use your card at any merchant that accepts Mastercard® Debit Cards.
- Your card can be used at chip & non-chip terminals.
- There are no added costs or fees.
- The new chip card will be issued approximately 30 days from your existing Debit Card’s expiration date. If you have merchants tied to your Debit Card for recurring payments (i.e. EZ Pass, utilities, gym membership, Amazon, prescription refills, etc.), be sure to update your payment information once you have activated your new card.
- Depending on individual merchant setup, you may be required to input your PIN to complete your transaction.
- Your transaction experience will be different, not harder!
How to perform transactions at chip enabled ATM and Point of Sale terminals:
Step 1 – Insert your chip card into the ATM or point of sale terminal, following the instructions on the terminal. It is important to leave the card in the terminal until your transaction is complete. If you remove your card too soon, the transaction will end and your purchase will not be processed.
Step 2 – The ATM will require that you enter your PIN, as you do today. The point of sale terminal may require you to input your PIN or sign your sales receipt to complete your purchase.
Step 3 – For sales transactions, the terminal will display your purchase amount.
Step 4 – When your transaction is complete, it is important to remember to remove your card.
FAQ’s About Your New Smart Chip Card:
What is a Smart Chip or Chip Card?
Your chip card comes with an encrypted microchip embedded in the card. The microchip provides an enhanced layer of security to your transactions.
How is the Chip Card More Secure?
The embedded microchip provides unique data specific to your card and the transaction being processed. These security features make your new chip card extremely difficult to counterfeit.
Why is my card being upgraded to be a Chip Card?
Chip technology is already used in other countries and is now coming to the U.S. Your new chip-enabled card provides an extra level of security and is easier to use at places already chip ready. READ MORE about Chip EMV Technology.
Can I use my card for everyday transactions or at non-chip terminals?
Yes! Your chip card will also have the usual magnetic stripe on the back so you can continue using your card at ATMs and Point of Sale Terminals while merchants in the U.S. are transitioning to new terminals.